This is a quick roundup of low-cost dust/haze/smoke sensor modules and fully packaged instruments that I’m aware of. I’ll be adding to it.
- PPD42NS (Shinyei). Used in a couple of hacker/maker/commercial projects going on.
- DSM501A (?). Available on AliBaba, etc. for $6 or so. h/t to Josh Schapiro.
- GP2Y1010AU0F (Sharp). Used in some projects (e.g., SensorApp.net‘s) but haven’t seen anyone get a convincingly good signal out of this one yet. Correct me please.
- Dylos (DC1100, DC1700, etc). “Small” and “large” particle bins. Great sensitivity. Not sure about the upper end of the range.
- UCB Particle Sensor. Manufactured by Berkeley Air from a modified smoke detector design. Used in health studies around the globe.
DIY and Research Projects